Return to Play after Covid Delay
As restrictions lift, New Providence Police Athletic League is working toward starting our 2020 Basketball season. Our paramount objective is the safety of our players, coaches and spectators. Here’s our plan, based on the New Jersey Department of Health guidelines at the moment.
Player Participation Guidelines
- Each player should bring their own basketball – sharing is prohibited
- Participants will be required to social distance whenever possible
- Players will have access to hand sanitizer provided by the coach for frequent disinfecting
- Players should have a mask available in the event they are required to wear one
- Players must conduct temperature checks and complete a health questionnaire before every session
- Players will be prohibited from attending any session if they are sick
- Parents are discouraged from carpooling
- Parents must sign a waiver indemnifying the coaches and PAL of any liability related to infectious diseases
- Coaches will be required to wear masks when social distancing cannot be maintained
- Coaches will remind participants to maintain social distancing when possible
- Coaches must conduct temperature checks and complete a health questionnaire of all personnel prior to the start of each session
- Coaches will be prohibited from attending any session if they are sick
The PAL Basketball program offers a competitive program for boys and girls in grades 4-8 who reside in town. Through a tryout process in late September, teams are chosen to represent New Providence in a competitive travel league and play other towns in the area.
Due to a lack of available gym time in town, there is typically only one boys team and one girls team sponsored per grade. Unfortunately, this does not allow for all who are interested to be able to play on the PAL team. It is for this reason, that those who make their respective teams are expected to be fully committed to their team. PAL encourages kids to participate in multiple sports and activities, but given the relatively small number of players on a typical basketball team (10), TEAM success is greatly reduced if multiple players are routinely absent due to other commitments. We expect that if offered a spot on a team, PAL Basketball be the priority sport during the winter months ahead of other teams (i.e. CYO; AAU) or off-season activities (i.e. soccer; baseball). Feel free to reach out with any questions regarding this.
2019 Team Results
New Providence PAL Basketball would like to thank everyone that attended the evaluations over the past two weeks. We received many positive comments from the evaluators regarding the play of our boys and girls on the floor, as well for their positivity in supporting one another throughout the process.
We are especially proud of the kids’ support of one another. Unfortunately, winter gym space is limited and while we would like to have a spot for everyone who wants to play, we do not have capacity in the travel program. In an effort to increase the total number of our kids in the program, the decision was made to field one boys and one girls “gold” team in each age group (4th -8th grade), and five “green” teams – two of which consist of combined age groups – 4/5 th boys & 7/8 th boys, and three of which are individual grade only – 6 th boys, 6 th girls, and 8 th girls. The number and composition of these teams was based on the number of kids trying out at each grade level, as well as the results of the evaluations. In all we have been able to add one team and provide an opportunity for ten additional players to play travel basketball, in spite of severe gym space limitations.
If you’ve made a team, now what:
- Consider the level of commitment expected. New Providence PAL Basketball expects all players accepting roster invitations to prioritize basketball over other sports during the winter season. There are many other local options for basketball with lower expectations regarding commitment (see # 4 below under you didn’t make the team).
- If accepting your roster invitation, register for the season through Community Pass by 10/18/19. Registration will open within the next few days. Fees for the season are $335 for players that need a uniform and $250 for returning players that do not need a new uniform. Uniforms are the same as last year, so returning players may choose not to purchase a new uniform (please try on last year’s uniform to be sure it still fits). Please note, if we have issues with uniform availability this year we may choose to change vendors and uniform styles next year. This information is being provided for your planning purposes.
- If declining your roster invitation, please let us know (email to NPPALHoops@gmail.com) ASAP (by 10/16/19 the latest) so that we can offer the declined spot to the next highest ranked player.
- Uniform fittings will be held 10/14 and 10/17 at Long Hill Chapel in Chatham (525 Shunpike Rd, Chatham Township, NJ) from 7:00-9:30 PM. We will be providing a suggested schedule later this weekend to attempt to spread out the process. All players will be receiving a new shooting shirt so even players reusing last year’s uniform are encouraged to attend. Please note, fittings are being held prior to the deadline for registering to increase the chances of uniform delivery prior to the start of the season. If you are undecided about whether you will accept your child’s roster invitation, please attend one of the fittings just in case.
- Coach selection is currently underway and will likely be completed in the next couple of days. Coaches will be reaching out to introduce themselves once selected. We are still looking for coaching volunteers for a few teams, please contact us if you are interested ASAP by filling out the form at: https://forms.gle/8GdAi6VmdLGP1QWp9
- Pre-season practices will begin over the next several weeks. Practices will begin in earnest in mid-November.
If you didn’t make a team, now what:
- DO NOT STOP PLAYING! One of the greatest players ever, Michael Jordan was not selected for the Laney High Basketball team his sophomore year. He used the experience to fuel a competitive fire that propelled him to become one of the greatest players ever.
- There is an outside chance a roster spot may open up (see #1 in section above). In the event a roster spot is turned down and your child is next in line, you will be notified immediately. Please register by 10/20 to accept the spot.
- DO NOT STOP PLAYING!
- Other options for playing this winter include, New Providence Recreation . In addition, there are many local CYO and AAU programs. These options provide a great opportunity for improving skills and playing in a fun and competitive atmosphere.
- DO NOT STOP PLAYING!
If your child didn't make a team
Uniform Fitting Schedule
Congratulations on making a 2019/2020 New Providence PAL travel basketball team. Uniform fittings will take place from 7:00-9:30 on Monday 10/14 and Thursday 10/17 at the Long Hill Chapel gym (525 Shunpike Rd, Chatham Township, NJ). All players will be receiving a new shooting shirt so even players reusing last year’s uniform are encouraged to attend to try on the shooting shirts. In an effort to streamline the process, we are scheduling time slots for each age group. If you cannot attend your
child’s assigned slot, feel free to come at any time during the process. The assigned time slots are as follows:
|Boys – Monday 10/14||Girls – Thursday 10/17|
Current players will be asked to confirm their jersey number, and new players will be asked to provide three number choices (in case of conflicts). Numbers may only contain digits 0-5, i.e. 1, 12, 23, 54 are all valid, however 7, 28, 67 are not (because they contain digits 6-9).
|Team||4th Boys Gold|
|Team:||4th Girls Gold|
|9||Van Dillen, Sarah|
|Team:||5th Boys Gold|
|Team:||5th Girls Gold|
|Team:||4th/5th Boys Green|
|Team:||6th Girls Gold|
|Team:||6th Boys Gold|
|9||Morales, Noah J.|
|Team:||6th Girls Green|
|10||Tchouassi, Yohsie A|
|Team:||6th Boys Green|
|1||Babbitt, William Jr|
|Team:||7th Girls Gold|
|Team:||7th Boys Gold|
|Team:||8th Girls Gold|
|Team:||8th Boys Gold|
|1||Bisaccia, Vincent C|
|6||Kowantz, Andrew T|
|Team:||8th Girls Green|
|Team:||7th/8th Boys Green|
|6||Valeo IV, Patrick J.|